Tuesday 24 March 2020

Herzel – Unis Dans La Gloire (2015) / 90%



Heavy Métal Français II

UNITED FOR METAL!!!!!!!

Now signed to Gates of Hell Records (Traveler, Chevalier, Iron Griffin...), Herzel from France is still hiding in the metal underground. This demo is still the only thing they’ve released so far. Good news though, a full length album is planned for 2020! I was lucky to discover Herzel recently then since I will not have to wait too long to listen to more stuff from them. Hopefully, the several years between the releases will lead to a super strong debut since well, this demo will be hard to beat for damn sure.


The two songs demo from the quintet is a fresh take on epic metal and it has immense balls. Unequivocally French (Breton to be totally exact) in both the musical and lyrical aspects, Unis Dans La Gloire takes Manowar, Omen, Virgin Steele or Manilla Road and throws them in an oven near several baguettes.

After a short but sweet atmospheric intro, we’re served two excellent tracks with melodic twin guitars, superb clean vocals with singalong choruses. The vocals of Thomas Guillesser are strangely engrossing and I’ve been singing the lyrics of the title track for like two days since I have nothing really productive to do while waiting for society to vanquish its contagious foe. I feel sorry for my cat now.

Je suis d'un pays où une magie opère
Pas un guerrier ne sera laissé à terre
Jamais l'épée ne me fera trembler
Jamais je ne serai découragé


I’m from a country where magic works
No warriors will be left dying
My sword will never make me tremble
I’ll never be disheartened

For a demo, it’s super well produced. The guitars are tight, the vocals are front-row and the drums dynamic albeit a bit too robotic at times. The Maidenesque leads of Lardeux and Le Vern are skilled, intertwined and engrossing. Anyhow, I’ve always been a fan of honest, DIY epic heavy metal (see Ageless Wisdom, Stone Dagger or even Quicksand Dream) and Herzel is no exception.

They’re not yet at the level of quality of Sortilège for mystical French heavy metal but they’re quite promising. I’m just pissed there’s only two songs to be honest, I’d take a double album of their Brittany inspired epic heavy metal right the hell now.

Bandcamp

No comments: