Sunday 26 August 2018

The Snack Series - Lays Taco and Lays Pizza


As you can see, I only pick healthy choices when I do my groceries


Lays just unleashed a new trio of flavors upon all the Canadian fatties and I had to try them. I now regret not buying "Grilled Cheese", the third flavor but it looked a bit too tame. I think this new series called Lays StEATS is a good idea despite the lack of originality. Lays has been quite bold with the contests they had and it wasn't often a big success (those Cinnamon Buns chips remain one of the most disgusting thing I ever tried and the only chips bag I had to throw away without finishing it). Sure, those three flavors are safe choices but they're also safe bets and classics.

Price: $5.50 for two 240 grams bags. Pretty damn fair.


Lays Pizza

Packaging: blue isn't a colour I tend to associate with pizza unlike green, red or white but fine, ok, I'll buy it anyway. The slice on the bag looks Italian and not the bastardized American version which is a good thing.

Texture/look: slightly reddish colour, nothing out of the ordinary. I wasn't expecting anything weird. Were you? No, there's no dried tomatoes in the bag!

Taste: One of my only points of comparaison were the Pringles Pizza and surprisingly the Lays are better. The taste is milder but more pizza-esque. The tomato taste is subtle but present and there's a slight herb touch to be found. It doesn't taste like pepperoni or cheese which could be interpreted as a welcome change or a risky interpretation depending on who you ask. Appreciable but not mind blowing.
7/10

White bowl = Taco - Green bowl = Pizza. I actually ate more than 2 bowls to be fully honest.


Lays Taco
Packaging: This time, green is a colour that works for the flavor. Lettuce is important for a taco!

Texture/look: Once again, it's a traditional Lays chip... There's some weird blackish spots on there to indicate that you're not eating normal bland Lays.

Taste: the Taco flavor is more complex than the Pizza one, there's hints of salsa, ground beef, spice, lettuce and even (maybe?) cheese in there. There's a short lived bang in your mouth too and it's more than just dipping your tongue into a little bag of taco spice powder. It's a good effort and I think it would perhaps be good enough to win a blind contest of "what does this taste like?". Recommended.
8/10



No comments: